Is Ontario Graduate scholarship fully funded? Ontario Graduate Scholarship is another prestigous scholarship offered by the Canadian government. The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) program is a fully funded scholarship created to provide financial assistance to deserving students around the globe. In this article, we will discuss further the OGS program, its importance, the requirements for eligibility, the application process, and the positive impact it has on graduate students in Ontario.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship Overview
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) is a prestigious scholarship program funded by the government of Ontario. Its primary objective is to provide financial support to graduate students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievements, encouraging them to pursue their studies in Ontario. The program aims to attract talented individuals from diverse backgrounds and foster a community of academic excellence.
Level of Study: Masters and Ph.D
Field of Study: Health research, Natural sciences, and Engineering
Application Deadline: Differs with the chosen institution
Benefits of the Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Financial Support: OGS provides financial assistance to graduate students, covering a portion of their tuition fees and living expenses, thereby reducing the financial burden of pursuing a higher degree.
- Academic Recognition: Being awarded an OGS is a significant recognition of a student’s academic achievements, potential, and commitment to their field of study.
- Enhanced Opportunities: OGS recipients have the opportunity to concentrate on their research, academics, and personal growth without the constant worry of financial constraints.
Apply Now: Visit the Ontario Official Website
To be considered for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, candidates must meet certain eligibility criteria, which may include:
- Candidates can be Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents, or Protected Persons under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) by the student deadline as determined by each graduate unit; International students who are studying or plan to study at the University of Toronto under a temporary resident visa (student study permit).
- Candidates will register in an eligible program on a full-time basis in the current year of study.
- The minimum grade of A- (or its equivalent) must be obtained by each candidate in each of the last two years of full-time equivalent study; alternatively, if the applicant has completed two or more years of graduate coursework, the applicant need only show an overall average of at least A- (or its equivalent) on all graduate courses complete.
The application process for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship is competitive and typically involves several steps:
- Aspiring candidates must submit an OGS application to their proposed graduate unit using the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies centralized online OGS application. Each graduate unit will have its own internal submission deadline to which applicants must adhere. Prior to applying, applicants should review the OGS Application Instructions.
- Once the entire application has been completed and submitted online, it will be made available to the proposed graduate unit for review and consideration.
- OGS awards are not transferrable between universities or between graduate units at U of T. Accordingly, students must submit an OGS application to each graduate unit for which they are seeking admission at U of T and to each Ontario institution if applying to multiple universities (each institution will have its own unique OGS application and process).
- Applicants holding a valid study permit by the graduate unit’s OGS international application deadline are eligible to apply following the same application process and internal deadlines set by their current or proposed graduate unit. Graduate units will select and forward a limited number of applications to the School of Graduate Studies to compete in a centralized adjudication.
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship program is not just a financial award; it represents an investment in the future of talented graduate students and the growth of academic excellence in Ontario. If you are a dedicated student looking to pursue a graduate degree while alleviating financial barriers, exploring the opportunities offered by the Ontario Graduate Scholarship is a promising step. These scholarships can be a life-changing catalyst for your academic and professional growth, empowering you to make a significant contribution to your field and society.